About Africa Public Health Foundation
The Africa Public Health Foundation was established in September 2019 to forge partnerships and mobilize resources for the Africa CDC, to support critical public health activities across the continent. The Africa CDC plays a protector role to APHF.
The Foundation will advance public-private cooperation to strengthen health systems, develop the healthcare workforce, support innovations for public health, and advocate for robust policies, regulations, and partnerships for resource mobilization. The Foundation’s mission and vision are aligned to that of the Africa CDC to support member states to build their capacity to better detect and respond to disease outbreaks and emergencies. In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, it has become even more urgent for the Foundation to build a sustainable, scalable organization to increase the public health impact on the continent in the coming years.
The Foundation has a vibrant governing council comprising of seasoned professionals. The Council’s mandate is to provide strategic direction and oversight on all activities as ambassadors of APHF to critical stakeholders and custodians of APHF’s assets.
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) will provide leadership and direction to the APHF Secretariat to fulfill and advance the Foundation’s mission. The CEO will be expected to promote the interest of APHF, giving the full benefit of his/her knowledge, expertise, and skills to all business undertakings.
As Head of APHF Secretariat, the CEO is responsible for leading the Foundation’s activities, is accountable to the Governing Council, and reports to the Chair of the Council. The ideal candidate is passionate about building a robust organization and is comfortable with an evolving role in a dynamic environment. He/ She has excellent leadership qualities, exceptional resource mobilization capabilities for large and complex institutions, and superior administrative and grant management skills.
Strategy development and overseeing overall execution
- Develop and execute the Foundation’s strategic plan, Theory of Change, long term and operational plans, with guidance and input from the Council.
Fundraising and donor engagement
- Ensure a sustainable asset base by building long-term relationships with key donors and fundholders based on mission, cultivation, stewardship, and sound fiscal management.
- Oversee and drive the development and execution of a solid fundraising strategy and activities, including grant writing, cultivation, stewardship of donors, event planning, and identifying new donors’ sources.
Advocacy and public relations
- Promote the Foundation’s visibility through engagement with relevant regional organizations, and activities that align with the Foundation’s mission and vision.
- Serve as the Foundation’s representative to the public and aid in the understanding of the Foundation’s interests, mission, and concerns.
- Direct the development and implementation of a strategic communication plan that provides a clear and concise message of the Foundation’s mission.
- Ensure the Foundation has the financial resources to thrive and deliver on its mission, including the necessary financial discipline and the investment in resources needed to achieve its goals
- Oversee the preparation and management of annual budget, including expense management, asset allocations and cashflow management
- Ensure the assets of the Foundation are invested optimally, efficiently, and following the guidelines and policies, in conjunction with the Council.
- Manage the preparation of investment reports for the Council.
- Oversee the administrative components of the Foundation, including grant contracts and outside consultants.
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance in all operations and maintain the Foundation’s certification.
- Design, review, and implement all operational policies and guidelines for the Foundation.
- Support prudent financial management, risk management and implement strong internal controls for the Foundation.
- Ensure the Foundation has the appropriate communication systems, physical space, and technology to operate efficiently and effectively.
Human capital management
- Ensure the Foundation has the necessary resources to achieve its goals; ensuring that performance of the staff of APHF is aligned to support this objective.
- Take high responsibility in managing the Foundation’s human capital, including hiring, termination, ongoing staff development, and providing verbal and written evaluations of staff.
- Ensure the continued development of APHF staff, particularly in skills, and knowledge of best practices in their areas of work
- Ensure that employment policies are enforced and in compliance with the Foundation policies, and all international regulations and local laws.
- Ensure the Foundation has an appropriate management structure and succession plans, and advising the Council on how the structure should evolve to remain agile but effective.
Secretariat Support to the Council
- Execute and give timely feedback on the Council’s decisions.
- Support the recruitment of new Council members.
- Manage the preparation and distribution of Council meetings material.
- Sit in as an ex-officio member in Council meetings and any other strategic meetings of APHF.
- Keep the Council consistently abreast of organizational performance and any key risks.
- Serve as the administrative link between the governing Council and the Protector, Africa CDC.
The ideal candidate is an African based in the continent, or abroad with an ability to undertake regular regional and international travel. He/she will have a combination of the following qualifications and skills.
Health care delivery in Africa
- An extensive understanding of and practical experience in health care delivery, especially in Africa
- Experience in forging multi-stakeholder partnerships for health in Africa
Resource mobilization/ fundraising
- Extensive experience, at least 10 years, in building relationships with global donors, private sector players and government stakeholders who play a role in the health sector in Africa
- Proven ability to maintain a high degree of professionalism and credibility in engagements with senior stakeholders, as well as sensitivity to complex political or organizational environments
- Demonstrated success in fundraising through the cultivation of funders, directly or indirectly through staff and board members.
- Solid knowledge, at least 10 years, of general fund flow processes, e.g., fund disbursement, allocation, and accounting over the life cycle of a project
- Experience in financial planning and budget management, particularly in the not-for-profit sector
- Experience in negotiating with vendors and enforcing governance with implementation partners
- Experience in overseeing multiple projects across geographies simultaneously
- Past success in building and maintaining accountability for large scale projects, including the need to balance short and long-term priorities effectively
- Strong leadership capability with at least 10 years of senior-level management experience, leading teams and building relationships with clients that require multi-faceted leadership
- Experience in building organizational strategies, setting, and running organizations into high performing entities
- Proven capability to effectively lead and motivate teams working in complex and challenging environments
- Experience in building capabilities and capacity of team members
- Success in establishing an organizational culture that upholds the values of the not-for-profit sector
- Advanced degree in business management, international relations, health, or any other relevant field
- Good understanding of public health. Master’s degree in public health desirable
Additional competencies include
- Effective communication with excellent public speaking and articulate writing skills
- High numeracy and analytical abilities, with the aptitude to think strategically
- Ability to treat all internal and classified stakeholder information as confidential
- International experience with a track record of working across multiple countries, ideally with experience in Africa
Please click here to Apply